• 1/4 cup butter
• 6 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
• 1 onion, diced
• 1/2 teaspoon thyme
• 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
• 6 cups chicken broth
• 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken thighs (or breasts)
• 1 cup rice (or rice blend)
• 4 cups baby spinach
• 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
• salt and pepper to taste
• 2 green onions, thinly sliced (optional)
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the garlic and cook until the garlic is crispy and golden brown and the butter is lightly browned before setting the garlic and all but 1 tablespoon of the butter aside.
Add the onion to the pan and cook in the remaining butter until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add the thyme and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
Add the broth, chicken and rice, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the rice is tender and the chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Remove the chicken and shred or dice before returning it to the soup.
Add the spinach and parmesan and cook until the spinach has wilted and the cheese has melted into the soup, about 2-3 minutes Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve garnished with green onions, and the crispy fried garlic and browned butter along with extra parmesan if desired.No tags for this post.