This recipe is one of my favorite oatmeal cookies. I’ve made several variations of this by adding pecans and butterscotch chips. It’s truly the very best oatmeal cookie recipe I’ve ever made– I think it’s a subtle addition of cinnamon and nutmeg that gives this cookie a special “mmmmmm”
- 1 cup shortening see note
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a mixing bow, cream shortening and sugars.Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Combine the remaining ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Add any or all of these: raisins, pecans or walnuts, chocolate or butterscotch chips and even coconut.
- Bake at 350°F for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Don’t overbake. They will become chewy as they cool.Remove to wire racks to cool.
I prefer to use half butter and half shortening. All butter makes the cookies burn on the edges and you don’t get the right texture.NOTE: I use a 2-inch scoop and parchment paper, which is much easier.