- 3 cups peeled cubed Russet potatoes, boiled until soft but not mushy
- 1 lb smoked sausage* thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 2 cups half & half or milk
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 lb Velveeta cheese cubed
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
US Customary – Metric
- In a large skillet, over medium low heat, saute the sausage in a large skillet with 1-2 tbsp of olive oil flipping and stirring until they’ve browned a bit.
- Lightly spray a 9×13″ baking dish with non stick cooking spray. Transfer the cooked potatoes and sausage to a casserole dish, stirring just enough to evenly distribute.
- Turn the heat up to medium and add the butter to the skillet. When melted, whisk in the flour. Allow it to cook about a minute, whisking constantly, to get rid of the floury taste. Slowly add in the half and half, 1/4-1/2 cup at a time, whisking constantly until evenly incorporated. Continue cooking until thickened.
- Stir in the Velveeta, paprika, and salt & pepper, stirring occasionally until completely melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Pour cheese sauce evenly out over the potatoes and meat. Evenly sprinkle the shredded cheese over top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender and the casserole is golden brown on top.