Comforting bread pudding made with apple pie filling. Serve it hot and with some vanilla ice cream on top for the ultimate taste experience.
- 14 oz French bread stale
- 1 3/4 lb gala apples
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2 1/2 Tbsp flour
- 2 tsp apple pie spice
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 5 eggs
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 2 1/4 cups whole milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp apple pie spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Optional: ice cream for serving
- About 24 hours before preparing this bread pudding, cut bread into 1/2 inch cubes and spread it out on a large baking sheet. Leave it out to get stale for about a day.
- Apple Pie Filling:
- Peel, core and dice apples.
- In a medium sauce pan, over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and stir well with a whisk. Add 3/4 cup of brown sugar and stir well.
- Add diced apples, apple pie spice and water, stir and cover. Cook over medium heat until the apples are soft, stirring occasionally. (10-15 minutes.)
- Take off heat and strain through a strainer, saving the juices. You will be using the juice to top off cooked bread pudding.
- Let the cooked apples cool a bit.
- Bread Pudding:
- Preheat the oven to 375 and lightly grease a 9×13 casserole dish.
- Spread stale bread in the baking dish evenly. Spread apples all over the bread evenly. Move it around a little to let some apples get between the bread.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs, milk, melted butter, vanilla extract, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, apple pie spice, and cinnamon.
- Pour egg mixture all over the bread and apples. Press down on bread lightly and put in the oven.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. You can check for doneness by touching in the center, if it feels dense and firm, the eggs are cooked.
- Pull bread pudding out of the oven and pour saved juices from cooking apples all over the bread pudding.
- Serve bread pudding warm and with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
Recipe from Lyuba at willcookforsmiles.com. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Calories: 465kcal | Carbohydrates: 72g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 124mg | Sodium: 344mg | Potassium: 306mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 43g | Vitamin A: 594IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 142mg | Iron: 3mg