Decrease Serving8Increase ServingAdjustOriginal recipe yields 8 servingsIngredient Checklist
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9-inch pie crust
- 2 pounds heirloom tomatoes
- 1 pound Roma tomatoes
- 1 cup diced raw bacon
- ½ cup sliced leek
- 2 cups grated white Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup grated Fontina cheese
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup fresh basil, torn into small pieces
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 pinch salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Step 1Chill pie dough for about 1 hour.
- Step 2Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Place a baking sheet on the lower oven rack.
- Step 3Slice heirloom tomatoes into 1/2-inch rounds. Remove seeds with your fingers. Place 6 slices on paper towels or a clean cloth and cover with more paper towels or another clean cloth. Arrange the remaining slices on a wire rack. Cut Roma tomatoes into 1/2-inch slices, remove seeds, and arrange them on the rack as well.
- Step 4Line a deep-dish, 9-inch pie plate with dough. Place 2 layers of aluminum foil over the entire surface. Fill with pie weights or dried beans.
- Step 5Bake pie crust on the preheated baking sheet on the bottom rack. Place tomatoes on a higher rack. Reduce temperature to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Bake until the bottom of the pie crust has lost its translucent raw look and the edges have just started to color, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Step 6Carefully remove the foil and the weights. Cover the edges of the crust with foil to prevent them from burning. Poke the bottom of the pie crust with a fork to keep it from puffing up. Return the pie crust to the bottom rack and bake until the bottom starts to color, about 8 more minutes.
- Step 7Remove pie crust and allow to cool. Continue baking the tomatoes until they are wilted, about 40 minutes total. Remove and allow to cool. Keep the oven on.
- Step 8Place bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until some of the fat has rendered, about 5 minutes. Add sliced leek. Cook until bacon is crisp and the leeks have softened and browned, about 5 more minutes. Drain bacon on paper towels and allow to cool.
- Step 9Place bacon-leek mixture, Cheddar, Fontina, mayonnaise, basil, egg, and mustard in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Step 10Spread 1/3 mixture on the bottom of the pie crust. Arrange 1/2 of the roasted tomatoes on top, overlapping heirlooms with Roma tomatoes. Spread another 1/3 of the mixture over the tomatoes and arrange the remaining roasted tomatoes on top. Add the last 1/3 of the mixture and gently press the fresh tomato slices on top in a decorative pattern. Arrange foil around the edges of the pie crust to protect them from burning, taking care that the foil doesn’t touch the tomatoes.
- Step 11Bake until browned and bubbly on top, about 40 minutes. Cool completely before serving.